In the Yoga 101 series, we will be exploring the techniques and benefits of different yoga asanas as put together in Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. In this article, we will focus on Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) technique and its benefits.
Bhujangasana is a yoga asana which is the seventh asana in the practice of Surya Namaskar. Bhujanga in Sanskrit means serpent or snake. The asana resembles a snake with its hood raised. Hence the term ‘cobra pose’ is often associated with this asana.
Benefits of Bhujangasana
- Regular practice of Bhujangasana rejuvenates the spine and is recommended for people suffering from a stiff back.
- Chest expansion.
- Due to chest expansion, the lungs gain elasticity.
- Tones the abdomen.
- Strengthens the shoulders.
- Improves flexibility of upper and middle back.
- Reduces stress and fatigue.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Useful for people with respiratory disorders.
How to Do Bhujangasana
Difficulty Level: 1 (On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being easy and 10 being the most difficult)
- Lie on the yoga mat, face downwards.
- Extend the legs, keeping the feet together. Keep the knees tight and the toes pointing.
- Rest the palms by the side of the pelvic region.
- Inhale. Press the palms firmly on the floor and pull the trunk up. Take two deep breaths.
- As you inhale, lift the body up from the trunk until the pubis is in contact with the floor.
- Stay in this position with the weight on the legs and palms.
- Contract the buttocks and tighten the thighs.
- Maintain this pose for about 20 seconds, breathing normally.
- Exhale. Bend the elbows and rest the trunk on the floor.
You can repeat this pose two or three more times and then relax in Savasana (corpse pose) for five minutes.
Hope you found the instructions in this article useful. Comment below and let us know!
- How to Practice Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
- How to Do Tadasana? Mountain Pose Technique & Benefits
- Crocodile Pose: Nakrasana Yoga Pose and its Benefits
Exclusive Resource: 5 Zen Books Everyone Should Read (PDF)
Join our email list to get the free PDF and all the latest articles, delivered straight to your inbox.