Throughout history, garlic has been used for medicinal purposes and for curing various ailments. In Ancient Greece, Hippocrates (the father of western medicine) used to prescribe garlic for several diseases. In India, garlic holds a special place in Ayurveda where it’s considered a medicinal herb.
Modern science has finally acknowledged the health benefits of garlic. There is now ample evidence of garlic’s therapeutic values. From preventing heart diseases to relieving stress, garlic has several health benefits as you will see below.
10 Health Benefits of Eating Garlic
1) Garlic reduces blood pressure and relieves hyper-tension. High blood pressure or hypertension is one of the main triggers for cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks and strokes. The active compounds such as Allicin present in garlic can reduce blood pressure significantly.
3) Garlic is known to stimulate digestion and appetite.
5) Garlic can also cure stomach problems, especially diarrhea. It also aids in the proper functioning of liver and bladder.
6) Garlic improves bone health because it contains a decent amount of calcium.
7) Consuming garlic while suffering from common cold can lessen its impact. This is because of garlic’s antiviral and antibacterial properties.
8) Garlic can also prevent certain types of cancer. The anti-cancer properties of garlic can substantially reduce cancer risk. The National Cancer Institute recognizes garlic as one of the vegetables with potential to prevent cancer.
9) The antioxidants present in garlic may help prevent the onset of Alzeimer’s disease.
10) Garlic is highly nutritious and contains very few calories. One serving (1 ounce) contains manganese, vitamin C, vitamin B6, selenium, fiber, calcium, potassium, copper, potassium, and small traces of other nutrients.
So these are the health benefits of eating garlic. If you think we’ve missed out on a few benefits, please let us know in the comments section.