The 800 Calorie Diet Plan is generally considered a short-term weight loss solution for people who want to lose weight rapidly. It should never be undertaken without the supervision of a health expert and should never be continued for more than a few days. For most people, reducing the calorie intake by 500-1000 along with regular exercise can heal you meet your weight loss goals. However, if you are overweight, then the 800 calorie diet may just be the right diet for you as it can help you lose 3-5 pounds in a week’s time.
As the name suggests, the 800 calorie diet plan is a weight loss diet plan where the person consumes 800 calories a day or fewer. When you are on this diet, there are certain precautions that you need to take. You need to note that a change in diet will affect your body in a number of ways. Do not force it on your body. Low calories can lead to fatigue or even diarrhoea. In some cases, you may also have to deal with headaches. Your body needs some time in order to adjust to this new diet and hence it’s always good to start this diet after a brief consultation with your physician.
More importantly, never overdo this diet. Even if you are suffering from obesity. You may be tempted to prolong the diet once you see results. Resist that temptation as it can be extremely harmful to your health. It’s imperative that you take breaks in between. Remember that the 800 calorie diet plan is not a long term solution as it can cause nausea, diarrhoea, and heart issues when continued for more than a week. Instead, focus on gradually reducing your calorie intake and exercising at least 3 times a week to manage your weight goals.
A 800 Calorie Diet Plan for Weight Loss
- One cup low calorie cereal in a cup of skimmed milk, OR
- 2 Slices of brown bread. You can opt for any other low calorie bread plus an egg, OR
- Have one cup of unsweetened low fat yogurt and one hard-boiled egg.
- 150 grams of meat such as tuna, shrimp, lobster, white fish, AND
- One portion of vegetables and fruits – you can boil or steam them. Add few spices and do not use oil. Include foods that are high in protein but low on carbohydrates. Include vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, onion, celery, cabbage, eggplant etc. Choose fruits like berries, oranges, pineapple or grapefruit.
Snacks In Between Meals
- Have beverages like green tea OR
- One fruit OR
- Have a cup of unsweetened low fat yogurt.
This is just a sample. Formulate your own diet plan based on your taste and the calorie count in each food item.
The 800 calorie diet plan, when followed for a short time, helps you lose weight without suffering from side effects such as nausea, diarrhoea, and headaches. Remember that this diet is not a long-term solution to your weight problems. Once you’ve followed this diet for a week, there is always an urge to binge-eat after such a controlled diet. Or to do the exact opposite, that is to prolong the diet for weeks. Avoid this at all costs! Instead, focus on reducing your calorie intake gradually and replacing unhealthy food in your diet with healthier, low-carb options.
Exclusive Resource: 5 Zen Books Everyone Should Read (PDF)
Join our email list to get the free PDF and all the latest articles, delivered straight to your inbox.