Is there anything more annoying than suffering from cold? Common cold is often accompanied with fever, sore-throat, headache, and body ache. Maintaining a proper diet by avoiding toxic foods and practicing Pranayama meditation on a regular basis can act as a preventive shield against common cold. Having said that, no dosha is immune to cold.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Cold for Individuals with Vata Dosha
When a person with Vata Dosha suffers from cold, chances are that the symptoms will include dry and scratchy throat, headaches, and an abnormal change in voice due to scratchy throat. The following remedies can soothe the sore throat:
- Add 1 tsp. cinnamon, cumin, and honey and the ingredients in hot water. Stir the ingredients well and drink as per convenience to soothe your scratchy throat.
- Chew basil plant leaf to ease sore throat. Else prepare lemon tea and add a leaf of basil to it.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Cold for Individuals with Pitta Dosha
When a person with Pitta Dosha suffers from cold, the symptoms include sore throat, stuffed nose, and fever. Bishop’s weed or ajwain can alleviate the symptoms nasal stuffiness and mucus. Avoid daily products as they can increase mucus. These are the remedies:
- Take the seeds from Bishop’s weed and make a sachet out of them. Hold the sachet close to your nose and inhale deeply. Carry this sachet wherever you go and inhale whenever the symptoms of nasal stuffiness resurface.
- Apply Anu taila drops to your ears, nose, and throat to ease the symptoms of common cold.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Cold for Individuals with Kapha Dosha
A person with Kapha dosha who has common cold can suffer from headaches, heavy head, thick mucus, and breathing issues. Ginger is one of the best ingredients for balancing excess Kapha in the body. Avoid dairy products. These following remedies are extremely useful:
- Add ginger, cardamom, turmeric, and honey in hot or lukewarm almond milk.
- Make a juice using an antioxidant fruit like pineapple and add a generous amount of ginger to fight the symptoms of cold.
Take Home Message
Regardless of your dosha type, the remedies mentioned in this article can help you alleviate symptoms of common cold. To take a preventive measure against cold, focus on a balanced diet, meditate for 5-10 minutes daily, and drink plenty of water.