Kidney stones are solid pieces of material formed in the kidney from minerals in urine. It can be extremely painful for the person suffering from kidney stone.
The pain usually begins in the torso or lower back region and can sometimes last up to 60 minutes.
If you’ve ever suffered from kidney stones before, then you know how painful the whole experience can be. You need to take extreme precaution to ensure that you don’t suffer from it again.
According to Ayurveda, kidney stones are formed due to improper diet and lifestyle, leading to imbalance in the three doshas and impairment of agni (digestive fire). This impairment creates toxins in the body which form kidney stones. As a result, Ayurveda first recommends that we make immediate changes to our diet and lifestyle.
In acute cases, Ayurvedic remedies include stone-dissolving herbs and Panchakarma Treatment.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Kidney Stones
1. Diet and Lifestyle Changes
By increasing the intake of fluids, you can make the process of eliminating kidney stones from your system a lot simpler.
- Ensure that you drink at least 2 litres of water per day. This is perhaps the biggest contributor to eliminating kidney stones. Drink more if the climate is hot.
- Avoid soft drinks, alcohol, and caffeine products.
- Avoid meat, poultry, pickles, spinach, and chocolate.
- Switch to brown rice instead of white rice.
- Have lime juice, soup, etc.
2. Panchakarma Treatment
Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic purification and detoxification treatment.
Panchakarma is a Sanskrit word which translates to ‘Five Treatments’.
These five therapeutic treatments eliminate illness-causing toxins from the body and balance the three doshas. Panchakarma also cleanses the system of kidney stones.
Figs are quite effective in treatment of kidney stones.
Here’s what you need to do – boil two figs in a cup of water for 15-20 minutes. Consume it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
4. Basil Leaves
These therapeutic leaves are also good for the kidneys.
Take 10 basil leaves in a cup of water and boil them for 15 minutes. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and take it twice a day.
Radish has been proven to be highly beneficial in the treatment of kidney stones.
Soak 2 teaspoons of radish seeds in a glass of water. Let it boil and reduce to half. Strain and drink half cup of it twice a day to assist in treatment of kidney stones.
6. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans have healing potential that can aid in the treatment of kidney stones.
- Take 60 grams of kidney beans and crush them
- Boil slowly for 4 hours in 4 litres of water
- This liquid should be strained through fine muslin and then allowed to cool for about 8 hours
- Then, pour the liquid through another piece of muslin, without stirring. Drink this once daily.
Kidney stones are painful, but fortunately there are ayurvedic home remedies which are effective in its treatment. Use the remedies listed in this article to reduce the pain associated with kidney stones and to prevent it from ever occurring again.