This is a part of the continuing Yoga 101 series of articles where we will explore different beginner and intermediate level yoga asanas. In this article, we will train you on how to do Trikonasana aka Triangle Pose.
Trikona is the Sanskrit word for triangle. This standing asana is called the triangle pose. It is also called Utthita Trikonasana or extended triangle pose.
Triangle Pose Benefits
The benefits of practicing Trikonasana include:
- Tones the leg muscles.
- Removes stiffness in the legs and hips.
- It relieves back pain and stiffness in the neck.
- Strengthens the spine and develops the chest.
Triangle Pose: Technique
Difficulty Level: 1 (On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being easy and 10 being the most difficult)
- Stand in Tadasana.
- Inhale deeply and with a jump, spread the legs sideways 3 to 3.5 feet. Raise the arms sideways, in line with the shoulders and palms facing down. The arms should be parallel to the floor.
- Turn the right foot sideways 90 degrees to the right. Turn the left foot slightly to the right, keeping the left leg stretched from the inside and tightened at the knee.
- Exhale. Bend the trunk sideways to the right, bringing the right palm to the right ankle. If possible, try to the rest the right palm completely on the floor.
- Stretch the left arm up, bringing it in line with the right shoulder and extend the trunk. Make sure that the back of the legs, chest and hips are in line. Gaze at the thumb of the extended left arm. Refer to the illustration below to perfect your pose.
- Remain in this position for half a minute to one minute, breathing deeply. Then raise the right arm from the floor and return to position 2.
- Now, turn the left foot sideways 90 degrees to the left. Turn the right foot slightly to the left, keeping the right leg stretched from the inside and tightened at the knee. Continue from 4-6, reversing all processes. Inhale and return to position 2.
- Exhale, jump, and come back to Tadasana.
Hope you found the instructions in this article useful. Comment below and let us know!